I can do a beautiful silhouette for you completely by e-mail. Just send me some photographs of the subject’s profile. Send me several and I’ll pick and choose from the lot to get the most accuracy as well as the most pleasing composition.Here are a few things to keep in mind (Scroll down to see examples):
- Don’t ask the subject to smile. Just allow them to let their lips fall together in a closed but relaxed position. (It is fine for pets to have their mouth open though.
- Ask them to stand tall like a soldier or a ballerina. (Good posture will really compliment the end result.)
- Make sure the background is fairly plain such as a painted wall. If the subject has dark hair, for example, dark areas will merge in the picture and hide all that nice detail I look for so keep that in mind please.
- Pretend you are taking a photo of the inside of their ear - that is the angle needed. Preferably, they will be completely at a 90º angle to you from their head all the way down to their toes - this will ensure that they show off a nice posture.
- If the subject has long hair and it is not pulled up and off the shoulders, then I usually prefer all the length of that hair to fall along their back and not in front of the shoulders where it can hide the detail of their neck and chin.
- For silhouettes of a person walking their dog, just take full length photos of the person’s profile and the dog’s profile separately.